Friday, December 15, 2006

Last Day of Term

Our nativity set.
My new hair cut. Believe it or not, I paid to look like this. Jamie likes it.

A Christmas thing. Not especially English, since I bought it in IKEA in Toronto. {g}


This was our official last day of term and we started off by making a list of all the things we thought we ought to do today.

Grace and Jack made Christmas cards.
Did some of the Christmas Symbols topic.
We read aloud some Christmas poems and stories.
They wrapped presents for the friends we are visiting tomorrow.
Tidied their rooms.
Did a bit of ironing each.
Finished their normal chores.
Watched Pirates of the Carribean 2, again.

You'll notice a distinct lack of academic work on that list. {g} Just like the last day of term in schools then!

Me? I wrote an impossibly long list again and now feel dispirited at only having done half. When will I learn? The thing to do is to only put 2 things ON the list!

Still hoping to get more done tonight. I have books to package up, paperwork to do, boxes to remove to the loft.

I spent the morning cooking-
Chicken casserole
Bean and mushroom casserole with dumplings
Green beans
Caesar salad
Honeyed parsnips
Roast potatoes
Poached pears.
There should be enough leftovers to snatch a quickly reheated meal on Sunday sometime between church and the carol service in the evening. Jamie is playing/leading both.

The afternoon was spent sorting and tidying up. The house still looks like a bomb hit it. Put out our nativity set, looked for room for a Christmas Tree again and couldn't find any space. Hysteria ensued. Will consult with Jamie anon.

I must have washed and dried 5 or 6 loads of laundry. Yet still the laundry basket overfloweth.

Had a bit of a revelation about Christmas cards. I realised that most of the people I usually send Cards to don't ever send us any, so I slashed our list! How many years of no cards or letters in response to yours do *you* leave it before crossing people off the list? I didn't have time to write a family letter this year or to sort out and print pictures. I'm just going to take Queen Bee's advice and point people toward the blog and if they are interested then they can keep up with us there. Trouble is, I feel so guilty about not sending them, like I'm giving up on people.

By the way, I'd love it if people who are reading the blog would comment occasionally. It makes me feel less...given up on! {vbg}
And to those who do comment- Thanks!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a productive day! I'm impressed with your cooking skills, Dorothy! ~Yvonne (Blogger won't take my comments if I sign in with my blogger account. So strange...)

Debbie said...

I usually do read your blog, but don't feel I have anything very witty to say.

I enjoy reading it and will try and comment accordingly in the future...witty or not!

I think your haird looks great and yes, the more "natural" look is very in.

You all did a great job today!

Romany said...

Thanks Ladies!

It's nice to know who is reading occasionally. (And that I'm not talking to myself!)I don't have time to comment on everyone's blogs every day. But I like to pop in occasionally just to let people know I'm reading.

I enjoy reading other blogs now!

Dorothy

The Bookworm said...

Hello Dorothy :). I always enjoy reading your blog but often don't manage to comment - reading is easier than writing with a nursing baby! Having the same problem with laundry here. It seems to multiply to impossible dimensions in bottomless laundry baskets.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see your picture yesterday! (My 'puter doesn't let me see pictures sometimes. I'll have to figure that out. You look amazing! I'm with Jamie...I like it. : ) ~Yvonne

Romany said...

Yvonne,

I am ashamed to admit that I've not learned how to upload my photos from the camera yet. Pathetic, eh? So I waited till Jamie got home and did it for me.

So you didn't miss the pics, they just weren't there yet! {g}

Off to check other people's blogs now!

Dorothy

Kristine said...

Well, if you WANT to know who's reading it, I can help you easily put a site meter on that you can click and see WHERE people are reading it from (on a map). It's really COOL but it can be unnerving for some to know that you can figure this stuff out!

I send out most cards to family members, just to touch base once a year. I'm talking distant relatives with whom I'd have no other contact. I was big in genealogy before hsing, and these were mostly bonds I built up back then.

Kristine said...

P.S. Your hair looks great!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I LOVE your hair too. LOL

I also like the Christmas thingy.

When the season is over and you have a breather I would love to hear more about your Sabbath meals....

Hey that tip from QB - I invented that one last year ...BUT I didn't even send out a letter. I sent out an email and said, "once again I am NOT getting letters done...but there are lots of photos and news on the blog if you'd like to catch up on our life....more than you'll ever want to see." Did I send you that email QB? I believe that began QB's avid interest in blogging. ::snort::

I haven't been able to get cards done for about 4 years. I'm really going to try to get some sort of letter out this year...and I have 100 copies of 4 various cards now....ugh. BUT....I also began to notice what you mention....and I'm not sure how long you keep folks on....I was thinking if I slashed the list I'd be able to actually send them out. This year with the computer crashed I"ll have to enter each address again.....so maybe I'll not do it again. LOL

I sure hear what you are saying about comments and wondering if you are talking to yourself. LOL

Romany said...

Kristine,

I added a pin the spot on the map thingy in the side bar. But since people seem to have to leave their email addresses to be able to do that, I don't think anyone will voluntarily do it.

*I* didn't even do it! LOL!

Dorothy

Jodi said...

I think your haircut looks nice.

With cards I make sure to send them to relatives every year because I always think friends will be more understanding than relatives if I don't get any sent to them. LOL I guess I'd wait a couple years anyway to give up on a regular. Last year we didn't get one from an elderly relative of DH's but I've sent her one again this year in hopes she is still living and hasn't moved and not sent a FW address and some person we don't even know gets the card with my kids pictures on it, LOL.