Sunday, December 31, 2006

Stowe Landscape Gardens

Having been given a temporary membership for the National Trust by the Nowlins for Christmas, we decided to head out to a local beauty spot for some fesh air. It wasn't too cold and didn't start raining until we were already committed to the walk, thankfully.


Stowe House is now a school but 3 hundred years ago it was owned by the Temple family who were REALLY into neo-classical design! The parklands were mostly created by 'Capability' Brown, a famous landscape designer responsible for much beautiful work around the country, including Blenhein Palace.


For some reason, probably contected to their name, this family were obsessed with temples, so there are plenty of those around these gardens.

The Temple of Concord and Victory behind Grace, Jack and Jamie.



The Temple of Ancient Virtue in the distance.




Grace and Jack at the Temple of British Worthies. Busts of 16 Whig heroes, 8 men of action and 8 men of thought. Not sure which Jack was imitating or perhaps he was attempting to dance. I KNOW he was wishing he'd taken his raincoat out of the car as we'd advised him.{g}



Grace inside the Temple of Ancient Virtue, standing next to a hero of ours, Homer. Grace picked this moment, after years or telling me that History was boring, that it was now her favourite subject. I nearly dropped my camera in astonishment.



Jack found many sticks on this walk and many times wished he had a dog to throw them for. Instead he just cast them into the various lakes.



Some rustic folly.



Dorothy and Grace attempt to hold up the column, which Jack informed me is ionic. Or was that ironic?


Aristocratic vistas galore.



Jack is determined to climb this Cedar of Lebanon.



Me in a wood.


Grace starts to make a run for cover.



Fortunately, we found Ye Olde Tea Shoppe. Not sure why I'm looking so manic. We were wet but happy!

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love the pictures! It's so interesting to see your part of the world. Wish I could come in person. : ) ~Yvonne

P.S. You and your hubby are a cute couple.

Debbie said...

What a gorgeous garden. I love gardens. Rain or no rain, it looks like you had a great visit.

Kristine said...

The landscapes you post are always gorgeous. I WISH I could appreciate the beauty of places I have right here, but for some reason, I am always looking more wistfully at places that are much further away!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

England is breathtaking! Thanks again for sharing your corner of the world with us.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

England is breathtaking! Thanks again for sharing your corner of the world with us.

Jodi said...

Beautiful pictures. Looks like a nice day out despite the rain.