Friday, July 13, 2007

Roast Vegetable and Chickpea Couscous

We finished school work today (Yippee!) and I celebrated by cooking a great big heap of this! It's so nice, I thought I'd share it with you. I love couscous in all its incarnations, especially tabouli, but this is very special too.

It's considerably adapted from one of the dishes I found
here. It's a complete meal in itself, but we had it with vegie sausages. I'm taking this to the next potluck we go to!

Roast Vegetable and Chickpea Couscous
Serves 6 as a meal, more as part of a meal

6 Tablespoons olive oil
3 stalks celery, sliced thinly
2 red peppers (capsicum), deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces

2 small red onions, cut into wedges
3 pattypan squash (yellow button squash), quartered into wedges
3 carrots cut lenthways and then sliced
2 cups butternut squash peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
2 cup couscous

2 1/2 cups boiling vegetable stock (chicken stock would do)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 handfuls raisins
2 handfuls slivered almonds
1 tin chickpeas (garbanzos)—rinsed and drained
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic—peeled

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint


PREHEAT the oven to 200°C/400°F. TOSS the prepared vegetables (including the garlic) in a large baking dish in the olive oil to coat. COVER tightly with foil and roast for 20 minutes.

REMOVE the foil, increase the oven temperature to 225°C/435°F and bake for a further 25 minutes until golden brown.

ABOUT 5 minutes before the vegetables finish roasting, place the couscous in a bowl, pour over the boiling stock and the salt, mix to combine, cover the bowl with a plate and allow to steam for 5 minutes.

ONCE the vegetables are cooked, remove from the oven.

WHEN the couscous is ready, use a fork to separate the grains. Add lemon juice, cumin, ginger and cinnamon.

MIX together the couscous, raisins, almonds, chickpeas and mint, then add the roast vegetables (minus the 3 cloves of garlic), toss gently to combine (being careful not to break up the vegetables).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what this meal would be. Couscous sound like something they would eat in an Indiana Jones movie (I know you're rolling your eyes hard enough to hurt yourself about now, but remember, I don't get out a lot).

And we ALWAYS say garbanzo rather than chickpea because it just sounds like So Much More Fun. Sort of like the difference between decrepitude & scrumpdillyumptiousness. And it's important to get a good running start on the emphasis of that middle syllable:
gaarrr-BON-zo!
See, we're having more fun now.
But we're having take-out pizza for lunch with our friends because that's even more fun than garbanzos.

Serenata said...

This sounds great - if only I could get my family to eat couscous and vegetables LOL

Anonymous said...

Liz, Liz, Liz, (All of you)

Cous-cous is only partially cooked cracked wheat, for goodness sake. Wheat! You know, the stuff frozen pizza is made of?

There's nothing particularly exotic in this recipe. No feta or pine-nuts or anything. (Cos I know you don't understand them.)You don't need to travel to Outer Mongolia to get cous-cous. It's a Mediterranean dish. (Like pizza.)

Dorothy, rolling her eyes

Unknown said...

I adore couscous! And this recipe sounds delish! I'll definitely be stealing it!