Monday, July 23, 2007

Youth Hostel

In Derbyshire, we stayed at the Youth Hostel in Youlgreave.

Youth Hostels are great. As long as you don't think of them as hotels. They aren't. They are a step up from camping. The buildings are usually converted from another purpose. This one used to be a shop. Some are old barns or manor houses, farms or warehouses. These were the views from our room which we woke up to.

The Peak District is a bit of a misnomer. They are just nice hills. You need to travel further North to the Lake District for mountains. (And lots of large lakes.) But we like hills. Especially after flat, flat Oxfordshire.

The family room we booked was basic, but clean and dry. Two sets of bunk beds and a sink. That was pretty much it. We booked the breakfasts too and they were extremely filling.
We sallied forth for walks around the village.
This is the tiny Post Office.
I liked this window of a house in the village. All the houses in the area are built with this stone.

It felt so good to be out of our own town. In fresh, though damp, air. Somewhere with hills. We really needed the break. We took walking boots and hiked quite a bit.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I like the idea of Hostels. I don't think we have anything like that here in the US. Lovely area.

Jodi said...

Lovely photos. Sounds like a wonderful holiday.

berrypatch said...

I love the photo of the windows as well. That's really cool! I like the idea of hostels as well, but like Deb said, we don't have anything like that in the States.

Lisa in ME (SHS)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

The views are gorgeous. Sounds very restful to me.

Cynthia said...

I've heard of hostels before. I love the hilly scenery in these photos! I really must come for a visit some day!