Sunday, July 08, 2007

8 facts about me (that you may not know.)
Yvonne, did this and then said, 'Consider yourself tagged if you read this'. OK, then!

The rules are simple:
Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog. (I may not get around to that part.)

1. I once slept the night on a mantlepiece.
It was in a Scottish castle and it was a very substantial mantlepiece and I was considerably LESS substantial back then. Hey, it was warm up there and there were large dogs roaming around! You'd have done the same thing. How I arrived at said castle is a blog in itself.

2. I was/am the oldest of 5 children, all born within 8 years. This birth order, and the way it played out in my family, endowed me with a strong sense of responsibility which I often crave to take time off from, the desire to be noticed and liked and an inbuilt need to nurture others. All of these attributes have a wonderful and a dark side, both of which I'm fully aware.

3. I met Jamie at a gig, it's true. Since everyone assumes it was HIS gig, I have to diappoint you and tell you that I was not, and never have been, a groupie. We were BOTH in the audience of another band entirely and it was BEFORE he joined the famous one. I was there Before, During and After those experiences. If you want to know what our lives were like in the 1980's, then just rent the movie, This is Spinal Tap."A rockumentary, if you will." Hysterically, and poignantly, true to life.

4. Everyone I went to university with is now famous. Well, all my friends, anyway. One became a well-known playwright and screen writer. One is a professional actor. One is a famous poet. One became a gardener, which you'd think would doom at least HIM to obscurity, but no, up he pops on tv gardening shows from time to time. Even him. Everyone, that is... except me. Thank Goodness!

5. I once broke into an airforce base with a pair of bolt-cutters. Well, it was the 1980's Cruise Missile Crisis in Britain and everyone else was doing it too. Your honour. I also planted spring bulbs all around the perimeter fence of a US base once during a demonstration. Shockingly subversive, I know. I hope that revealing that fact hasn't wrecked all my military friends' chances of Top Security clearance. I was never arrested, and it was 25 years ago, so it shouldn't. No, I'm not showing photos. There's quite enough in my MI5 file already.

6. My hair has been just about every colour you can imagine, except green. I do draw the line at green. No, I'm not showing photos.

7. I had to wear a beard once. For a play. I was 15 and appearing in a girls' school production of 1066 and All That as Francis Drake. Which required a beard. This was applied by the deputy headmistress with some sort of glue. After one performace, I could not remove it and was forced to go home on the top deck of the bus, still wearing the beard. In my school uniform. Aged 15. Many years of psychotherapy have made little inroad into resolving the trauma of this incident. No, I'm not showing photos.

8. What else haven't I told you...well...you know I
married a man in a skirt, single-handedly brought down a communist government and ran away to the circus . What else, oh, I used to work at Windsor Safari Park and helped train the killer whale. Well, a few times. I refused to get in the pool with him though, so my career as a whale trainer failed to progress. I was 16. I had a sensible head on my shoulders and I wanted to keep it there.

OK, now it's your turn. I'm supposed to nominate 8 other people for this. I want to know some interesting stuff, y'all! I nominate the following: Jodi, Cynthia, Jackie, Kathy in Wa, Liz, Emily, Kristine and Windy if she has a blog yet! You know who you are!

7 comments:

Kristine said...

GREAT post! I'll have to see if I can even make a post like this, since my dd reads my blog, lol.

I'll be watching for your castle story. I did not know you have four younger siblings!

Oh, and I've JUST now reserved Spinal Tap from my library, lol.

I think you are rather famous, at least in our hs world! It seems like everyone remembered you when you came back to SHS, you ran your own very large loop for several years, and you won a Blogger award!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I knew so many of these things already that I'm feeling proud & sassy! Until I got to the parts about the bolt-cutters & the beard ... that's just scary.

And I'm wondering about working a deal with Kristine where I can do my list on HER blog & she can do HER list on MY blog (since my dd reads my blog also).

Kathy in WA said...

I'm sorry but there is no way I could ever come up with such a wonderful list as this (much less have it actually be true). Dorothy, you are fantastic. I agree with Kristine, you're famous in my book. :)

Boring in WA

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think that's a good idea. Kristine could write 8 things about my friend Liz you never knew, and Liz could say she was writing about Kristine. It could get complicated, though.

You do realise that I only put a few of the mildest and more publishable episodes up there, don't you? My kids know most of those stories. They mostly just yawn now when I start telling them. 'Yeah, yeah, you told us that one already Mum.'

Like when we were watching Metallica on LIVE EARTH the other day and I started, "You know, once when Jamie's band were on stage, the guys from Metallica dumped a ton of dead fish on top of them..."
"Yeah, mum, we KNOW that one! Shhh I'm trying to listen to 'Sandman.'"

I'm waiting for THEM to have some stories to tell ME!

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
WHAT A HOOT! I could write a list, but it wouldn't be nearly as funny as yours! Hmmm... I'll see if I can think of anything interesting or funny.......

Lisa in Jax said...

I agree. I'm boring compared to sleeping in castles.LOL Ok, so I'm boring compared to anything.lolol

Jodi said...

Now really there is nothing at all wrong with green hair or green anything! LOL

The person you went to university with wssn't, umm what is his name...the Ground Force man, was it? That would be wikkid but I think he is older than you.