Friday, March 07, 2008

Forcing Rhubarb

Ginger asked what on earth rhubarb was and what we were forcing it to do. Well, rhubarb is one of the first home-grown, fresh, dessert possibilities in Britain. The most famous dish is Rhubarb Crumble, a recipe for which will no doubt wend its way here soon.

Forcing it to grow earlier than it would like is what impatient people like me do. You put a bucket over the crown and tell it to hurry up. Here it is forcing the bucket away!

'Oy! Bucket Head! Grow up!'

You gently pull up the stems and pull the leaves off. Stewed slowly with plenty of golden sugar and ginger (or elderflowers) it makes a tasty, if somewhat acidic, treat. Our plant is only 3 years old and has a way to go yet before it becomes like the giants of previous gardens. They don't seem to mind cold, north facing gardens and thrive on neglect and occasional manure. You can keep pulling stems until June when the *real* fruits start appearing.

Shhh.... don't tell our plant it's not a real fruit.

7 comments:

Jan said...

A well-timed post Dorothy. Did you know that today is the Wakefield rhubarb festival. Mum went yesterday and bought us some lovely early forced rhubarb. Last year we made a yummy pudding called Pig's Bum from it! :)
Rhubarb Festival

Donna said...

Oh I love rhubarb!! It's one of my favorites. No one else in the family likes it much, so every spring I make a dessert and eat it all myself. Can't wait. :)

Jodi said...

They grow up so fast and here you are forcing it. LOLOLOL Just kidding. Rhubarb is the first thing DH planted when he decided to have a garden here. They come up so much earlier than anything else (and the veg. garden is not in sight of the house) that an occasional year it is forgotten about until the rhubarb is huge.

Romany said...

Jan, as enticing as that dessert sounds, I've not heard of it. {g}

Donna and Jodi,
I wondered if you could grow it in the US as Ginger was not acquainted with it.

Laura said...

Oh, I love rhubarb! I love rhubarb pie. You have me drooling thinking about it!

Kristine said...

I think I've only had rhubarb in pie. It's quite lovely to see it growing in your garden!!

Emily said...

Rhubarb is one of the few things I don't care for but my mom and that side of the family adores it!