So, I was explaining to Jamie yesterday about how I think my days of being able to multi-task so magnificently were at an end. Jack overheard us. For some reason, the two of them thought this was really funny. Jack said that means I'm now a 'uni-tasker'. Cue both males to fall about giggling. I stood there blinking, baffled at their hilarity.
Then I recalled the many times the males in my household haven't even been up to uni-tasking and I felt instantly better. {g}
I recalled several incidents in our family's past. This one demonstrates my point rather effectively, I think.
Picture me, in the living room, breastfeeding Jack.
As a baby.
Obviously.
OK, if you are a male reader, then DO NOT picture this. Pretend I am simply holding him, in a completely non-attached manner. {Phew! That was a close one!} And picture my beloved 'doing painting' at the kitchen table with toddler Grace. A pot boils over on the stove.
I cast my eyes in the direction of the kitchen. Jamie gets up quickly, knocking his chair over, which frightens Grace (terrified of loud noises) who bursts into tears and starts screaming. Jamie stands, his body shifting between two now inexorably building traumas. Grace will have a tantrum if not soothed immediately. And the pot is boiling over furiously and flooding the kitchen floor. Seconds pass and he is still rocking to and fro between impending disasters, not being able to decide between them and completely unable to do both at the same time.
I walk into the kitchen, still breastfeeding (remember, men, this means no part of me was really attached, in any way, to this baby) and whilst talking to Grace, calmly reassuring her that Daddy had not meant to frighten her by making the loud noise with the chair, I turn off the heat and mop up the mess.
Jamie is still standing miserably rooted to the spot, arms flailing.
He reminds me of the robot in Lost In Space. ('Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!')
I pick up the chair on my way back to the living room.
Uni-tasking, eh? Men should *be* so accomplished!
PS I love you, Darling!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Love your humor Dorothy (LOL)! Your story reminds me of the time we had to rush oldest ds to the ER. I had him ready to go, got myself dressed (we were ready for bed already), gathered up the girls, and was walking to the car before dh even started to get dressed (LOL)....
I think you are right, Dorothy. Even in our older uni-tasker years, we can manage more than most men. Put them on a single task and they are relentless, but ask them to do more than one...total confusion.
Thanks for the funny story.
Dorothy-this is hysterical! I am so NOT going to tell my family about 'uni-tasking' as they will join Jamie and Jack in thinking it is way too clever.
Hey, if you can still remember the times when multitasking was easy, you're not too decrepit yet.
:)
Debbie, That is so true! Jamie *is* relentless when working on something! I think relentlessness is a fantastic quality!
Kristine, very good point! Thank you. {g}
That is sooo great! I was just contemplating a lovely blog entry on my declining "multi-tasking" skill level and how I, perhaps, need to start trying to do one thing at a time more often.
I'm laughing too hard to comment properly...oh no that means I'm becoming a uni-tasker too!
Post a Comment