1. Organized a kayaking course for our kids and about a dozen others at Rickmansworth Aquadrome, which is a nice lake. This was no mean feat as the instructor is very ...er... laid back and difficult to pin down. He's brilliant with the kids though and remembered all their names from last year.
2. Managed to extract from the kayak instructor the British Canoe Union 2 Star awards and badges which the kids earned last September! After 6 months of phone calls and emails, they were finally handed out with a fanfare at the lake yesterday.
3. We saw a GRASS SNAKE swimming in the lake! This is only the second time I've ever seen a snake in the UK and the first time I've seen one swimming. It was so beautiful. I don't like snakes AT ALL and if I'd seen it on the banks or in the grass I would have screamed and tried to climb on top of my friend Sereta's shoulders. Somehow, because it was in the water, it looked graceful and not threatening. Grass snakes are not venomous.
4. We helped out at the Home Education Resources Display which we organised for our area. I sold my second hand books and we had the owners of the supply company over for dinner afterwards. It was a good day and we enjoyed it.
5. Grace saved a toddler's life. Said toddler had toddled off into the road and Grace managed to rescue her just as a car approached. The car-driver was angry with Grace as he thought Grace was responsible for her, but she wasn't. She just happened to notice. I am dumbfounded and happy at the fact that Grace managed to intervene in time, but also terrified that she may have put herself at risk to get the toddler as she herself has NO road sense. Thanks to God for protecting all involved.
6. Jack threw a rock into a stream when other kids were playing nearby and managed to hit another child on the head and cause a gash. Ugh! Fortunately, one of our home-ed mums is an ex-doctor and she cleaned it up and pronounced it to not be in need of stitches. Jack is going through a spate of accidental injuries to other people at the moment and I really need to find a way of helping him control his behaviour more. He's older and taller and bigger now and needs to start taking more 'manly' responsibility for his actions.
7. As a result of my recent research and seeing a lot of materials at the Display, I am really beginning to understand more of what my kids need to be doing next academic year. I'm feeling much more confident about what to order.
8. I got a good workout done. It's only at the rate of one hour a week, but that's one hour more a week than I was doing a few months ago. The bike and cross trainer do not seem to aggravate my naughty hip.
9. We discovered that I'm entitled to a Carer's Allowance from the state which is a small amount of extra money to compensate me for taking care of Grace. It feels weird to be applying for this after 16 years of taking care of her. After all, she is my child and I would be taking care of her whether or not the state gave me any assistance, but it will be helpful. It means that our tax will go up slightly, so it may not mean much extra money overall but I found out that my National Insurance Stamp will be automatically paid which will help count towards my state pension. Yippee! I've not paid any NI for 16 years! It will be great to be back on that track again.
10. I had a bad panic attack in the middle of the night one night and Jamie got up with me and helped me. He is a brilliant husband! I've not had one for ages and it was very disappointing to have one again, but I know why it happened. I just been over-scheduling myself lately. I now KNOW I have to spend more time at home in the next few weeks and give up some of my responsibilities for a while.
11. Grace received a kind note from someone at church thanking her for her singing last Sunday. I am so thankful that people are beginning to see Grace as a 'person' in her own right more.
12. We got quite a bit of schoolwork done, despite all the frantic activity.
13. Our pastor and his wife were involved in a serious motorbike accident on Tuesday. He has been discharged from hospital but his wife is still seriously ill with multiple injuries. She has not regained consciousness and they're are doing all sorts of tests to see if her brain has been affected after all. At first, it was thought she did not have brain damage. It's a terrible time for the church. There have been prayer meetings which Jack and Jamie have gone to. I'm too upset (and, stupidly, angry with the pastor for buying a motorbike in the first place) at the moment to go, but maybe I'll take Grace this evening. I've asked God to take away my judgemental spirit, so I can be of some help, spiritually and practically. I can't get this mental picture out of my mind of them hitting the car at speed and her being thrown so far, so hard. They are raising their 3 year old grand-daughter and have 4 young adult/teen kids. It's just too awful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Busy week, Dorothy! Kudos to Grace for saving that toddler. How rude of the driver to be angry with her. Sigh. Sorry Jack had trouble. My middle son is often "just playing" and seems to hurt people. Let me know when you figure out how to help them. :)
Dorothy,
So glad Grace was there to rescue the toddler and that they were both spared any injury.
So sorry to hear about your pastor's accident. Praying his wife recovers completely and quickly.
Sorry you had another panic attack. I've been on the verge of several myself with all that I have on my plate the next 10 days or so, but fortunately, I've been able to calm myself before they become actual attacks. I certainly understand what you're going through. Praying for you!
Good job on the workout! It's sure to help the panic attacks. And you're right. one hour is better than no hours!
Kayaking sounds SO FUN! You really have gotten yourself busy organizing a lot of things! Sounds like the curriculum display went well. I bet it feels good to have that behind you!
Good to see you at 4 last week, and hopefully helped a little with 7. Well done Grace for 5 and 11. Sorry to hear about 6, 10 and 13. Very impressed at 12. Oh, and I have seen a few of 3, including a very large one curled up by the canal tow path.
If you've only ever seen 2 snakes in your life, I am packing my bags right now to move to the UK. What about mice? If you have no mice either I will go downtown & get my passport renewed straightaway.
Kudos to Grace for grabbing the toddler - and I feel your pain on trying to get a 13yo boy to stop hurting others. Fortunately AND unfortunately, the others that MY boy hurts are usually ALSO my boys. If you figure out a way to communicate to him that his strength has increased substantially even though his sense HAS NOT, please let me know.
How cool that Grace was there to save the little child's life! God is good!
Boy, you have sure been busy!!!!
Dorothy, what a week you've had.
I realize the seriousness of the danger that Grace inadvertently placed herself in--but what an amazing thing she can look back on, being there and saving a child.
I can relate to your happiness about the once a week workout. I am the same, and hey, it's a whole lot more than I was doing before!
Praying for healing for your pastor's wife and His comfort for the family.
Sorry Liz, we have rodents aplenty in the UK. But only 2 species of snake.
You've read Wind in the Willows, right?
So you know about the toads here that dress up in women's clothing, too then.
Dorothy
Dorothy, what a very busy week you have had. God sure used Grace to save that child. Maybe someone who does appreciate that danger they would have been in wouldn't have been willing to do it.
Great job on the work out. Keep that attitude, some is better than not at all.
Ugh! Had those unexpected anxiety/panic attacks. I haven't had a full blown panic attack in almost two years, but there are some days when I can feel it just swimming under the surface. Brian is just like Jamie...I call him my anxiety coach...he walks with me, talks with me, his calming presense has been so vital.
>> You've read Wind in the Willows, right?
So you know about the toads here that dress up in women's clothing, too then. <<
Toads don't scare me -- so long as they don't wear florals over a certain age.
Wow, Dorothy! What a week!
Post a Comment