Here's the gauntlet I've thrown down for fellow bloggers in an internet home-school group I'm a member of. Myths about my State/Region/Country. There so are many weird myths about Britain that this challenge is easy for me, but I am also keen on seeing what others write about their areas.
Myths About Britain.
1. It rains all the time. Myth.
Mostly, these days, it doesn't rain enough. It didn't rain at all in our area all April. Our reservoirs are low and there's talk of water rationing this summer.
2. We're all 'cockerneys' and speak rhyming slang. Myth.
What a load of old pony. It's just Pete Tong.
http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/
3. London is shrouded in fog. Myth.
The swirling 'pea-soupers' of Edwardian times (and much beloved by film-makers) were never fog. That was SMOG. Highly toxic and killed many people. Since the Clean Air Acts of the 1950's and 60's London skies have been a brilliant blue most of the time. {g}
4. We like scones a lot. Myth.
Well, I'm sure there are people who like scones, but that's not the national dish or anything. According to recent surveys, that would be....Chicken Tikka Masala!
5. We are all passionately fond of the monarchy. Myth.
There are a few eccentric royal-lovers, but I'm pretty sure most of us just put up with them because they're good for tourism. Personally, I prefer the Queen as Head of State than I would an elected president. But that's because I am passionate about power being in the hands of Parliament. Each to his own.
6. We boil all our food. Myth.
Now, I do believe that USED to be the case. My mother only seemed to know how to boil or fry things when I was growing up. But nowadays few foods are done to death with boiling. Mostly, we roast everything now. Except lettuce, I think. And jelly. Because that would just be silly.
7. The British call ourselves Brits. Myth.
This is a term the IRA introduced into common currency in Northern Ireland in the 1970's. It referred to British soldiers. It was a derogatory term there, filled with connotations of hatred. (Like wog or nigger.) Americans seem to have taken it up with gusto, perhaps unaware of its origins and the effect it has on people, especially those impacted by Irish terrorism. Many British find it insulting. Though some younger ones are now using it, copying it from American films etc. It is usually used in a self-deprecating way. I expect it will creep into mainstream usage eventually, used by a younger generation.
8. The British have bad teeth. Myth or Fact?
It's a cliche, but is it true? Compared to whom? We are referred to as 'dentally challenged', yet we think of others as being somewhat 'orally obsessed'. I don't know about this one.
9. The British are polite. Myth
I've been fortunate enough to travel in many countries and I think we're actually quite rude compared to others. City-dwellers seem to be ruder than country people here. The most polite places I've ever visited were in the South of the US. I LOVED being called Ma'am.{g}
10. We sleep with our eyes open. Myth {g}
I have a friend from Ghana who knew people who asked her if that was true. That's a strange one.
11. That we are formal and into pomp and ceremony. Myth
We are actually MUCH less formal than many other nationalities. Our clothing, eating habits, ways of doing hospitality are very relaxed here. Of course, the country can *do* Pomp beautifully when it needs to. We can put on a good event like a state funeral, a good coronation, state visit etc but daily life is usually very laid back. Perhaps even too much so.
12. The British are all posh. Myth.
A VERY few British are posh. The overwhelming majority of us are just slobs. Well, I am. I don't crook my finger when I drink tea. I don't have my nose pointing heavenward. I don't look down on other people. And I've even been known to burp. But only when the occasion merits it.
13. We're a post-christian society. Myth or fact?
I'm not sure about that. Our institutions all have their roots in christian thought and practice. All our common law is based on Judeo-Christian belief. Certain strands of Christianity are enjoying revival (evangelicalism for eg.) Though numbers of church-goers have dramatically fallen since WW2, it's quite possible the number of actual believers has remained the same. I've certainly seen good arguments for this point of view. I'm hopeful, at least, that this is myth. Or perhaps we're almost at the point of being a Pre-Christian country again? Those Celts were ripe for mission!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Interesting. It was fun to ready all of these myths. Thanks for posting the blog challenge!
Fun topic. I haven't done mine because I'm not sure what the myths about my State might be. Although I think country bumpkin might be one as I gave Liz the suggestion to go swimming in a lake to freshen up, what with her bathroom out of commision and all. She thought that was the most backwoods thing! I will try to think of a few to pist though.
Post a Comment