Alright then, hands up everyone who's heard of pierogis!
My family acquired a deep passion for these when we lived in Toronto after having been introduced to them by a cousin's wife. Thank you, Tonia! You could get them in supermarkets but she made them too and they were good.
Then we moved back to the UK and were forced to MAKE them. Because it's time-consuming and fiddly, we only make them a couple of times a year, but my kids get all excited about them. Grace loves pierogis so much she is willing to do cooking types jobs which she normally loathes.
They are pasta-type dumplings filed with a mixture of mashed potato, onion and cheese. I mean, what could be more perfect? You boil them first and then, believe it or not, fry them in butter!
I will give a recipe later. You make a pasta-type dough first and need the strength of ten men to roll it out because it's very stiff. If you can't find 10 men, then you just have to put your back into it, woman.
Grace likes to cook with lots of jewelry on.
I believe these derive from various parts of Mittel Europe, but WARNING!, in some places they are filled with sauerkraut! That just seems like an abomination to me.
Pierogi Recipe
Dough
4 cups flour sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup lukewarm water
For filling
3 cups mashed potato
1 onion, finely chopped and gently fried until soft
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
mixed together
Mix the dough ingredients together, adding the water a little at a time. The dough should not be sticky. Roll out thinly on a lightly floured surface. Cut out circles of dough about 8 cm across. (Use a can lid for approximate dimensions.)
Fill with a tsp of the filling. Wet one side with water and fold together. Crimp with a fork. Find at least 2 children or an octopus to help you with this process.
Drop into boiling water. Remove to a cooling rack to dry after each pierogi floats to the surface.
When ready to eat, fry gently, in batches in butter and/or olive oil (I like a mixture of both) till they are heated through and beginning to take on colour.
Serve with fried onion, grilled bacon, sour cream and apple sauce. And don't forget to invite me.
Makes about 60, which will be enough for me.
Oh alright, and about 3 other people.
6 comments:
Yum! Those look great, Dorothy! Hmmm, Bessie loves to cook, maybe I'll have to "assign" this to her! LOL
Great job.
I had these once a long time ago when one of the PT's wives brought them in for our lunch. They were so good. I asked her for the recipe and tried them myself. They turned out HORRIBLE and I've never tried them again.. in fact, I don't think I've ever even tasted them since then. I wonder if I know anyone who makes these? Maybe I could invite myself over for dinner (LOL).
We first had these when the mother of the Russian family living with us asked to make them. We LOVE them...but they are time consuming. I have been thinking it's time to do it again...and really you can't skip the frying step. LOL They are just soooo good.
Bessie has GOT to learn how to make these!{g} And the younger children could all have fun trying to stuff them!
We always spend New Year's Eve with an American expat friend of Polish extraction and was introduced to pierogis there last year. There is a Polish shop in Dunstable (I think) that sells them and allows her to indulge cravings. Apparently there is also a shop in Warsaw that sells them with 300 or so different fillings. If I'm ever in Warsaw ...
These look delicious! Can I come over? I'd never tackle this myself.
And don't knock sauerkraut. I used to eat it cold out of the can for breakfast just to drive my mom nuts. (Shh, did I just say that?)
Post a Comment