Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Week's Round Up!

Sunday
Jamie led worship at church. Grace sang, I had a rest from singing. Or, rather, the congregation had a rest from my singing. The song words projection computer had a fit and died half way through the first song, so it was a stressful service with no words for most people, though some songs, like Shine Jesus Shine, were so well known it wasn't a problem.{g}

Grace had some friends round after church. She looks a little out of it in the picture. Three chatty, outgoing girls is almost too much for her, really. She prefers one to one. There are just too many opportunities for misunderstandings for her and too much sensory stimulation when there are more than one or two. But she coped admirably and everyone seemed to have a nice time.
Later in the evening Grace and Jamie went to a Praise and Worship evening led by Graham Kendrick at another local church. It was some kind on anniversary for the church and really good evening, apparently! Although, I'm told the song projection equipment failed there on occasion too! Even for Graham Kendrick! {g}

Monday
Lots of schoolwork as we knew we'd be out for most of the next three days. Jamie to a prayer group in the evening after going to the Scouts AGM.

I packaged up parcels for PreLovedBooks.

Tuesday
Into London with Windy and her girls to the British Museum.

Wednesday

Weekly sports extravaganza. The kids were busy all day and so was I, with driving and grocery shopping. Over to the Aquadrome afterwards for kayaking.

Swans kept getting in the way!

Grace and Jack are pretty tired by the end of the day!

I love the hour at the lake. I get to sit in the cafe and drink cappuccino with my friends before the 90 minute drive home.
Thursday
It was the occasional day long Art Workshop which I organise. We were doing en caustic technique this time. Everyone seemed to get a lot out of it. We're looking forward to silk painting next time.

Jack went off to Athletics afterwards and got selected to compete in a competition on Sunday. {Rolling my eyes. Just wondering if there will ever be a day when he discovers he is bad at something.}

Friday
Grace and Jack spent the day reading, just catching up with the pile of books I gave them at the start of the academic year. They've got a long way to go to catch up!

Grace went to her singing lesson. I spent some time planning next Sunday's service.

Jack did some garden work for me.

I planted a few flowers.
We had the musicians over for a rehearsal. It was a warm evening and we had the windows open. At one point our neighbour came knocking on the door. I apologised for the noise, but he was only asking if we could look after their guinea pigs next week while they are away! Phew!

Saturday
Saturday is always a bit frantic, trying to get all the house/ garden jobs done before Sunday. We were also expecting guests for dinner, so I had some more work than usual. I can never do anything fancy for dessert, so it's always just fresh fruit salad with cream.

The meal was nice, the company delightful and I am so thankful that God has changed my heart about hospitality. The more I do, the easier it has got. People seem genuinely grateful to be invited, even though our house isn't smart, we have to squeeze round the small table and I have no matching plates!

Sunday

Up early to get out to the hall where we have church, to set up the sound equipment and instruments. My voice started to crack half way through the rehearsal and I was clearly losing my voice...{sigh}...not good. Grace sang the last song for me.

We had dropped Jack at his friend's house and they took him to the Athletics competition. I was sad not to be able to go with him to cheer him on. But as it has rained almost all day, not that sad. {g} He's not back yet, but when he is, we'll all be off to church in Oxford this evening.


10 comments:

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
Is that your dining table above in the first picture? I love the style of it and I LOVE it being surrounded (at least on the one side I can see) with bookshelves! FUN!

You DO know that unmatched is "in" don't you? I'm actually looking for some "unmatched" things to coordinate with the main dishes we have (LOL).

I remember way back when you were first thinking about having some people over! You've come a LONG way... now look at you organizing all of these homeschool events and having all these people into your home!

I wish I lived close enough to be invited over.

Jodi said...

Sounds like a busy but fun week. To Kayak with the swans sounds lovely...well until it gets irritating if they stay in the way!

Fruit salad all by itself is one of my favorite desserts.

berrypatch said...

Huh - we sang Shine Jesus Shine in church today too!!! :-)

Lisa in ME

Emily said...

The kayaking looked like so much fun but the cappochino with friends looks good too!

Romany said...

Cynthia,

It was years ago that we had that email discussion, wasn't it?

God was faithful to give us this house and I've tried to be faithful about using it for HIS purposes. We try to have a family over once a week from church and kids over at least a couple of times a week. The more I do it the easier it becomes. I have certain dishes which can't usually go wrong and we have a routine for tidying up.

Anyway I just wanted to thank you for encouraging me and challenging me all those years ago!
Dorothy

Diann said...

You are doing great at having people over! Don't you know that no matching plates is just "eclectic" and it is fashionable!

Kathy in WA said...

Wow, Dorothy, you try to have someone over once a week from church? That's awesome! Can you share a few more details? Whom do you invite? New people each time? Is it lunch or dinner? What are your standard dishes that always work well? We host our Bible study group quite often but I really feel called to open our home up to more church people.

Kristine said...

I was also going to comment about your journey regarding hospitality, because I too remember the thread a few years ago. It's been a blessing to me to see you work through this. I never mind having other children over, but when it comes to adults--and their kids--well, it just throws me, and we rarely do that. Perhaps it will be something for me to work on when we move? (Sure, then we'll have less room, haha.)

And your fruit salad is quite lovely!

Debbie said...

Great job, Dorothy. Hospitality is something I'm still working on. We haven't done much since the new kids have been home.

Your fruit sald looks yummy!

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
You're welcome and I'm so excited for you!