Gesundheit!
No, I didn't sneeze. Gazpacho is my favourite soup. It's from Spain. I have to hold off making it until tomatoes come into season though. It's just not quite the right time yet. But I'm looking forward to it. For me, it's the true indicator that summer has arrived. Sitting in the garden eating this cold soup with my family, with the swifts and house martins (summer-visitor birds) wheeling high overhead. Soon! In anticipation of such delights, here's the recipe.
Gazpacho
********
5-6 good sized tasty tomatoes
1 fat clove of garlic
1 small onion or some spring onions (shallots are nice too)
1 carrot
1 cucumber
1 large green pepper
1 stick celery
lots of fresh basil
juice 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons good olive oil
500 ml / 1 pint vegetable stock
500 ml / 1 pint tomato juice
dash tamari or Worcestershire sauce
pepper
Roughly chop the vegies and blend in a food processor in small batches to a CHUNKY puree. Cool in the fridge for a minimum 5 hours. Check seasoning.
Serve over ice cubes with garlic croutons. A nice bottle of chilled white wine and overhead swifts optional.
Thursday, May 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If you try any of my recipes do tell me.
All of the recipes I post here are and tried and tested and well-loved.
Go on! Give it a go!
Dorothy
I LOVE Gazpacho and can't wait for the "real" tomatoes to be in season to make it! Several people in my family have tomato "sensitivity" though it they make their mouths itch in large quantities so I don't get it too often. Oh well, that's why it is such a treat.
Dorothy,
I really enjoy reading your blog. When even the receipe posts make me chuckle & my kids begging me to tell them WHY - it's a good day of blog reading. :-)
Lisa in ME (SHS)
Post a Comment