Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Decrepitude Chronicles Part 4

As my Big Birthday approaches, my body is deciding to play tricks on me. One of which, though painful, is vaguely amusing.

I was eating some crusty bread a couple of weeks ago and something went *ping* in my right jaw. It was very sore afterwards but worse, my lower jaw now seems to be further forward than it used to be and my teeth are not aligned properly. Not to mention I'm finding EATING quite painful. Fortunately, pierogis are not too chewy!

I was at a regular appointment with my Doc today about my naughty hip (yes, X-rays confirm the onset of osteo-arthritis - oh joy!) so I had a word about the weird jaw problem.

Yes, it seems I have managed to SPRAIN MY JAW!

Go on. Laugh.
Jamie will when I tell him.

9 comments:

Yvonne Ferlita said...

Dorothy...do you have to wrap your head in an ace bandage when you sprain your jaw? LOL The picture I see in my head is a hoot! {g} I do sympathize, though as I have TMJ and over the years my alignment is getting worse. I hear pops, clicks and crunches all the time now. I'm quite a percussive instrument!Choosing Joy in being decrepit! ~Yvonne

Romany said...

Don't suggest the bandage to Jamie! I'm sure he'd love a couple of weeks of me not talking. {g}

I have TMJ too. It started when I was 16 and I woke up on the morning of a Very Important Exam (my English O level) completely unable to open my mouth at all. I was put on diazapam. Not helpful when your whole future depends on aforementioned exam result. {sigh}

Still, chin up, eh? Worse things happen at sea!

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
I'm SO sorry, but I can't help but laugh. That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I'm sure it's QUITE painful though... everyonce inawhile I manage to do something to my jaw and I gently have to massage it and hope that it goes back into place (LOL) and I used to suffer from TMJ before orthodontics.

The Bookworm said...

On the plus side, at least you didn't sprain it by talking too much (LOL).

Debbie said...

Okay, Dorothy, so I laughed, but I really do feel badly that you are having so many physical difficulties.

I'm starting to feel more aches and pains.

Kathy in WA said...

Oh, Dorothy! I'm so sorry. These aging bodies are NO FUN! Thanks for being real with us. :)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Sprain your jaw! ::snort:: now THERE'S a new one I've not heard of.

Mike often repeats my Gram's wisdom to me. "Getting old is rough - but it's better than the alternative". LOL Though I'm not so sure I agree with the theology of THAT we've got quite a few good laughs out of it as we enter those upper middle ages....LOL

Romany said...

Er... DeEtta, I don't think that 42/43 quite counts as 'upper middle ages'.

You've a way to go yet, before you start spraining your jaw and all. Enjoy it while you can! {g}

Jodi said...

Oh my what a thing to happen!

The things we have to look forward to someday in the not so distant future (you're not THAT much older) don't bear thinking about. LOL