Saturday we worked really hard all morning trying to scale Mount Ironing. We took it in turns 15 minutes at the ironing board at a time. We nearly got it under control too. Then it was off to town for the afternoon showing of Spideybloke 3. What a lot of crying men in that film! I mean, when they weren't smashing each other to a pulp, they were bursting into tears on each other's shoulders. What was *that* all about?
Sunday was a very sombre church in the morning. Lots of praying for Annabel, our pastor's wife, who's still unconscious after a motorbike accident. It was very difficult.
Then off to Jack's gymnastics competition. Two medals and three numb bottoms were acquired. Many packets of crisps were consumed. Jamie actually resorted to reading a magazine! He doesn't usually read much, so this shows the depths of boredom to which he descended.
Monday was a national holiday (Mayday) so Jamie was off work. We decided to drive to Chipping Norton, the Gateway to the Cotswolds. The countryside was quite pretty, but the town lacked character, I thought. I don't understand the coachloads of tourists who descend on the Cotswolds. I think the Chiltern Hills are far more interesting. Chalk streams and beech forests. And, of course, no tourists! Love it!
Tuesday and back with our noses to the home-education grindstone. I finished my curriculum deliberations and even made some purchases, finally. Jack did some sprinting at the Athletics Club and Grace went for hot chocolate with her church youth leader.
Today was the all day multi-sports day of the week. The kids swam, ran, hit things and jumped up and down a lot. I shopped and worked out. Also, almost passed out with pain in Sainsbury's. It was pain which bordered on actual labour contractions in intensity, in the same general region, but I'm not pregnant, if you know what I mean. I had to sit down in the supermarket while the cashiers fussed and packed my bags for me. It was a little embarrassing. I decided I was low on iron and immediately ate a bar of chocolate.
Given the horror with which we British are meant to have greeted GWB's famous wink at QE2 in Washington, I thought I'd test my friends' reactions. "So, what did you think of Bush winking at Queenie?" asked I. Reactions varied from, 'Does he fancy her?' through to 'Is she in the US, then?' Yup, lots of outrage there.
We had multi-grain pasta with red pesto, broccoli and salad for dinner.
And now you know more about my week than my husband does!
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What was up with Spiderman? I thought this was an action flick not a chick flick!! ;o)
I am still debating on some new books for next school year... ah, I'll figure it out. I also have my own wedding to plan. Geez, I better get started!
The dinner sounds great... YUM!
So chocolate is a good source of iron??? good to know because I ran out of iron pills and neither the commissary or PX have any :( Guess I'll go buy some Ritter bars
Amy, wedding planning sounds much more fun than curriculum deliberations.
Renee, How could you NOT know that! Of ourse it is. It's the BEST source of iron known to woman!
Dorothy
LOL Glad to hear there isn't a lot of outrage about GWB's wink....when I read the story I had to laugh....that seems to be a Texas male thing....I've never been winked at or called "little miss" by so many men in my life. LOL
Hmm sounds like my boys might be outraged by spidey 3 when it comes out on DVD. Maybe the film was trying to reach too many different groups of people and failed badly or something?
Now that have sold some old curriculum I am needed to choose my new stuff. Some I have figured out, some I still have to over-think and confuse the matter a bit more first. LOL
My dh and ds saw Spidey 3 this week. Dh said the same thing, if they weren't punching, they were crying. He was not impressed.
Interesting to hear YOUR thoughts on the Queen's visit. I haven't paid much attention to the media reports, but last week, our paper reported on proper protocol when addressing royalty. My own thought was that the Queen is not OUR queen, and that much of that really would not and should not apply to our government officials' courtesies toward her . . . I hadn't heard about Mr. Bush's wink (I did hear about Mr. & Mrs. Nancy Pelosi's greetings), but . . . what can I say about our President? I'm sure he's very warm and friendly, and I mean that only in the nicest way. Anything I would write could come across as disrespectful, and I would certainly NOT mean it in that way. I can only surmise that it must have been a refreshing change for the queen to have a man winking at her in the midst of all the ceremonial hoo-hah. :)
Kristine, I don't think I gave my thoughts about 'the wink'. Here they are:
I couldn't care less. And neither could anyone else here. ;-)
Post a Comment