Once you've taught a child how to do a household chore and helped them, by working alongside them for a while, that should be enough. You instruct, then inspect and then expect it to be done to the correct standard.
Many times, I've heard this kind of advice: If they don't make their beds properly, they'll be uncomfortable and they'll soon learn to do it right. Mmmm.
I've taught, and retaught, my daughter to do basic chores yet she just doesn't seem to be able to figure them out. If she irons some item of clothing, then it ends up more crumpled than when she began. If she attempts to cook, something WILL get spilled down the side of the oven. When she washes dishes, I have to stand by with the band-aids as a glass will often get broken.
When she was younger, I used to get angry with her. How can you not know this won't work? I would think. She doesn't seem to have a practical understanding of the laws of physics, the kinds of instinctive things we, most of us, take for granted. For eg, that the very tip of the knife is not the best part of it for scraping chopped onions off a chopping board and into the pan. Instead of using the flat of the knife to make this job quick she will always use the tip and do each individual piece of onion individually, escorting it safely into the pan.
She'll also put the dishes away in some very odd places. For years, I've been asking her to put all the pans and metal cookware etc together in the cupboard under the sink. But the metal grater always ends up stuffed into the herb and pasta cupboard. I ask her why she does this and she says because she thought it went there. I think she uses some kind of very logical (to her) classification system. It's just time-consuming for me when I want to cook and can't hunt down the item I need. If I call her and ask her where she put it, she will invariably know where. it's just not where I keep it.{g}
People with Autistic Spectrum Disorder think in unusual ways. I just wish I had more understanding of the way she thinks, so that I can help her better. The way she thinks about most things is personal, unusual, hard for me to appreciate, though often creative and more daring than me.
After years of leaving her to make her own bed in the morning, I assumed that she had finally mastered this simple task. She *IS* 16. One morning she had to be somewhere early, so I told her not to worry about her bed, I'd straighten it for her.
She can find any song anywhere in our cd collection after having seen it once. She can hear a new worship song and know it and the harmonies which go with it almost instantly. She can remember a specific smell from 13-14 years ago. She remembers the name of just about everyone we ever met. And other assorted weird talents. But she cannot put the cheese grater away or make her bed.
I made her bed for her. I prayed all my motherly hopes and fears into the 'hospital corners' and trusted her to God.
10 comments:
Oh Dorothy - what a tender post! What unique giftings she has. Those are certainly special talents. God has placed her in your family. He knew exactly what He was doing. He knew just the parents he wanted her to have and He picked YOU!
I have a nephew with Asperger's (sp?) and understand some of your frustration (just a tiny bit!). I would encourage you to just thank God for her wonderful and special gifts and abilities, and try to let the frustration go. I know first hand just how special and what a blessing these 'special' children can be. I don't know why God allows them to be born with these challenges, but I KNOW that HE has a special plan for their lives and that HE makes no mistakes! You are a good mother, and this lack is in no way your fault, it is just the way God made her, and He will show you why one day! I'm praying for you!
You reflect exactly some of the thoughts that I've had about my oldest child recently. I appreciate your heart so much. You help me see what it is I'm struggling with and encourage me to trust God with it all. Thanks, D. ~Yvonne
Dorothy, this post made me laugh and cry. What a special child Grace is and what a wonderful mommy she has.
Ok I cried a little bit too (inside a child is on the couch behind me!). I have been going through these feelings because Trevor will be 13 soon and also we just had our end of year homeschool evaluation. It somehow feels very sad that his younger sister is turning into a a very capable young lady and he is still a little boy (in a big boys body) in many ways.
I have had someone tell me that he is probably being lazy when I mention things he can't seem to accomplish correctly. But that is not it at all. He doesn't get it or remember even a little bit. Yet he does have some unusual strengths, like Grace. Gotta look at the bright side!
I think the thing which disturbs me most about ASD is what you will always see in a description of the identifying features: An inability to learn from experience.
Of course this is NOT a stubborn refusal to learn that you sometimes see with neuro-typical people. {g} But a genuine, brain process which makes it extremely difficult for people with ASD to be able to use their experiences to help inform their thinking.
Because, as a trained educator, I have been programmed to think of learning from experience as one of the most essentially HUMAN things we do, It is profoundly shocking to me that she can't.
When we first had the diagnosis, I was stunned, trying to figure out if I even knew who she was any more. We are all learning who she is. It's not who we thought, though *she* has obviously not changed, just our perception of her.
I'm sure that what I've said must disturb some. But I crave to understand my daughter so I can help her to live in a world filled with neuro-typical people.
Dorothy
Dorothy - this is so interesting. Has it really felt like Grace was different since the diagnosis even though nothing about her has changed?
Does perception and a medical analysis make that kind of difference? Is it putting a name to things that were, before, just a long list of idiosyncrasies?
I don't think I've ever thought of someone NOT being able to learn from experience. Wow! That is disturbing. My middle son struggles with this and I'm afraid it frustrates my dh to no end. He feels like ds is being unwise and foolish. A friend told me that ADD or ADHD (ds has NOT been diagnosed) kids do not easily make the loop in their thinking where they think of an action and quickly recognize the possible consequence. Without this loop running efficiently and rapidly, they are often left "learning the hard way" or having to learn the same thing over and over again. I found this somewhat reassuring as it meant ds wasn't just being an idoit but actually had legitmate trouble making the connections.
Keep sharing! We are here to listen, enourage, learn, pray, laugh and cry!
Hi Kathy,
I know it must sound strange that a mother who knows her daughter intimately would suddenly feel as though I did not know her anymore, after the dx. If it had been a dx of a heart condition or arthritis or something, that would be different because it wouldn't affect who she was.
In a profound way, the label of ASD does affect who she is, in our perception (though thankfully, not God's!) because, before the dx, we had hoped and prayed and trusted and believed and convinced ourselves (possibly foolishly and against the evidence!) that she would outgrow her problems, that she was simply a 'late bloomer'. In other words that she was on the same track as the rest of us, just further behind.
But the more I learn about ASD the more I realise that she is NOT on the same track. It's a completely different track, in a completely different country! She knows the language of THAT country and I don't. I'm learning, but I will never be a native speaker of her country and she will never be a native speaker of mine. That deeply saddens me as a mother.
I don't know too much about ADD or ADHD, though I know some believe them to be 'on the spectrum'.
I just have the hugest amount of respect for these kids who have such struggles. For us neuro-typical types, growing up is like learning to cross the road. For them it's like crossing a raging river filled with crocodiles and enemies on the banks shooting at them with arrows. Progress is slow, laboured, painful and it takes persistance and great courage for them! We need to be their cheerleaders and prayer warriors! (Probably way too many analogies in this comment!{g})
Dorothy
Hey, I've got a new password ;-) Lets hope I don't forget this fourth one! LOL I also wanted to say I just love the colour of Grace's room - my favourite colour.
"An inability to learn from experience" - I think that is what it is in a nutshell. Only the other day my DH was talking about this very subject about our DS. Sometimes it is very hard to get your head around this concept.
Dorothy,
I'm praying that God gives you supernatural strength and insight. I have a friend (the one whose dh had the PK transplant a few years ago that many on the SHS loop prayed for) who's ds has ADD, ADHD and other things. He literally developed his own language when he was a toddler. He was in his own world and spoke his own language. It took many years of various therapies before he was able to communicate. I remember her heartaches and pray, again, that God will give you strength and insight in caring for and training your dd.
Post a Comment